Friday, December 21, 2007

Transcendence.


Gnawing at my insides is desire. Desire is a strange and perplexing thing. Desire can cause any of us to grasp for any one of a multitude of things.

“I want chocolate.”

“Man that taco looks good!”

“Boy is that a nice HDTV.”

“Have you seen the 2009 ZR1 Corvette with 620 horsepower?”

All those desires seem somewhat innocent and tame, especially when compared with desires like:

“Look at her!”

“Check him out, he must have it all together.”

“She would be the girl of my dreams.”

“I could have that too, if I had a rich old man.”

“If she was my wife, then I would be happy.”

Buddhists say that they key to life is removing all desire from your life, umm, good luck with that! Recently, stumbling upon this simple truth has helped me by putting into perspective my desires. Whatever the desire, Jesus is better. Jesus beats whatever this world has to offer hands down, not even close. Jesus transcends everything. Jesus is better. And here, in Westernized Christianity, is where our consumerist mentality can be so damaging because, do I want Jesus because he is better and being better can do any number of nice things for me? We wrap the universe up into our existence, and it is all about me, or do I want Jesus because he is the best person ever and the only relationship that anyone could ever be fulfilled in?

I want Jesus.

What do you want and why do you want that?

Will you consider that Jesus transcends that desire by a billion light years?

What will you live your life desiring?

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hears and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

No comments: