Wednesday, December 19, 2007

90/2

Many thanks to everyone for the nice birthday wishes, I appreciate the care. But now that I am officially half-way to 90 it seems like I should be better at stuff. The things that matter kind of stuff. Things like loving, kindness, caring, slow to anger and selflessness, you know, important stuff. I do feel that I have made strides, sure but not fast enough, or deep enough for mysmall brain.

My wife is into making cards for people lately, which is really cool, very personal and (bonus) it saves a ton of cash. She left a very personal birthday card on my computer keyboard before she left for work this morning. It said so many nice things that when I read it I felt like there was no way that it was about me. There are way too many days when my inherently evil side is having it’s way with me, again.

I guess that as I aged I naively thought that sin would be less of an issue in my life, but I am afraid it is just as much an issue today as it ever has been, its just as much a battle that demands my every effort. Not that my faith hasn’t grown up some over the 21 years of following Jesus, it has, but I am not where I thought that I would be or think that I should be either.

Then I read from Colossians 1:13-14 “For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” Once again reminded that my rescue is not up to me, it is the accomplished work of Jesus and I am simply striving to follow him, at half way to 90 or 190.


No comments: