Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Journeying.

As my journey of following Jesus continues and I pause and reflect on the place I am today and the long look back over the path that I have traveled. This summer in Montana along the trail that leads up and over the continental divide I paused for a few minutes catching my breath from the combination of the weight of my pack and altitude. I looked down over the trail that we had traveled. It had winded in and out skirting around the rugged mountain terrain, crossing cold glacier streams and climbing ever higher and higher. This picture is taken at that exact spot.

Today, pausing for a few moments of silence and reflection, I am feeling a quiet hopeful desire to know him more. I deeply sense that I should already have been to some places that yet lay off in the distance, calling me forward in obedience, forward in love, forward in faith. I am becoming more aware of myself, the way I think, what I believe to be true about myself, what drives me and this truly is a dichotomy. My selfish dark self often inflicts havoc on those close enough to me to experience its wrath demanding attention and appeasement. Have you spent any time lately thinking about who you are? Or perhaps with Christmas on the immediate horizon, the thought that God cannot possible be some impersonal force, as a friend of mine said this week. Have you considered your life’s journey in light of the cross? Who are you in Jesus and where are you in your pursuit of him?

I am deeply grateful to God for loving me even though he knows me inside and out. Travel On!


2 comments:

Jennifer D. said...

I feel that I more often travel backwards than forward. That when I am going backwards, I don't care. I lose touch with God and my dark side is winning out. I don't feel insightful or remorseful or even wrong. Just kind of carelessly backpedaling...that is where I am at now... Sounds bad, I know.

craig said...

Yes Dave switchbacks are a pain in the butt literally.

Jennifer I have been where you are now and the scary part is that we refuse to wake up until our cage is rattled violently. Those are fearful moments that leave us clamoring to remember that we really do need God in our lives. Turn back and seek his face today!