Saturday, December 15, 2007

Radiance.

I am a nerd and this is confession time. When I was growing up I loved Star Trek. Today I watch the NASA channel. I read space.com all of the time along with the NASA website. I am a nerd. My wife has threatened to buy me a NASA t-shirt for Christmas, which she thinks will make me look like a bigger dork than I already am and maybe that is true, because I know I would proudly wear that shirt!

I am such a nerd-burglar that I know that light travels at 186,000 miles per second. The sun is about 93,000,000 miles away from us. (Yes 93 Million!) At the speed of light the light emitted from the sun takes roughly eight minutes and twenty seconds to reach the earth. It all really breaks down into a simple math problem right?

So here’s a question for you un-nerds: How long does it take for the light emitting from the moon to reach us?

I am sure your superior un-nerdy mind can do that math problem …..

Well it’s a trick question. There is no light emitting from the Moon, the only light we see from the moon originates at the sun. Our moon has no radiance only reflection.

I was listening to Peter’s sermon today and he was speaking on this very subject:

“The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being”
Hebrews 1:3a

Think of it: Everyone ever born merely reflects the image of our creator (some more dimly than others=). No one possesses their own radiance, we only, at best, are a reflection of God’s glory. Everyone except Jesus that is! The Son is the radiance! Jesus is the radiance of God because he is God. That radiance came into our world and we didn’t have a clue. That real, present, radiance is what we celebrate at Christmas. God with us!

By the way, the nerd in me must finish:

(The light from the sun that is reflected off the surface of the moon and into our eyes only takes 1.3 seconds to get here.)

1 comment:

Jennifer D. said...

I love that you only let Carson watch the NASA channel, lol. You are a nerd, and I love you because of it :)